Packing and repacking- physically lightening and eliminating things I can do without. That’s the first step and I am working on it. I am truly excited for the emotional, spiritual and mental lightening to come as Colin and I walk the many miles of this amazing journey together.
The feelings of joyful anticipation have been increasing daily since my last day of work. My wonderful colleagues at RMCC gave me a very loving and supportive send off as I told them of my hopes to walk the 500 miles of the Camino with a lightly loaded backpack. “10-12 pounds. That’s what I am shooting for”, I said proudly. Well let me tell you how that packing is really going…
* I started with 18 lbs then it ballooned to 21. Yikes.
* I took out my beloved Olympus SLR, the extra batteries and charger – vowing to use my new iPhone 8 instead. I fretted a little about letting that go, but the 2 lbs is worth it.
* Woke at 5AM thinking about ways to lighten my physical load even more.
* Took out a chunk of stuff. (Picture attached): Swapped heavy sneakers for lighter ones. Took out 4 pairs of undies, 2 socks, thermal top and bottom and miscellaneous toiletries.
* Weighed it in at 18.2 BUT that does have all of my travel clothing counted in the weight.
I imagine I will have to take more things out. I’m not as strong or fit as I was 26 years ago when I hiked with a 50 + backpack in Nepal. During that trip a woman from Spain stopped and said to me, “you strong woman”. I am hopeful and joyful starting this adventure that I will feel strong on more levels than just the physical.
We are Flying to London Thursday to begin our journey by reuniting with loved ones in the UK.
Hasta la vista!